Federal Affairs coordinates the activities of the university on matters relating to the federal government and Congress. Staff members coordinate development and implementation of the university's federal legislative agenda; work with higher education associations to monitor federal legislation and budget activity; assess potential implications and opportunities; and serve as the liaison between the university and the US Senate and House, the Oregon congressional delegation, congressional committees, and federal agencies (working closely with the UO Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation).
Betsy Boyd is the associate vice president for federal affairs.
Karen Hyatt is the director of intergovernmental relations.
Immigration and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) issues
- American Council of Education (ACE) letter of support for "DREAMers" from higher education leaders to President Trump (March 21, 2017)
- UO reaffirms support for global ties, international scholars (January 30, 2017)
- University Statements on New Immigration Executive Order (January 30, 2017)
- Proposed BRIDGE Act sheilds DREAMers from deportation (UO Government and Community Relations Update article, January 24, 2017)
- UO President and Provost statement supporting all students regardless of immigration status (November 16, 2016)
- US Senators Wyden and Merkley kick off college affordability listening tour at the UO
- UO asks Congress to #SaveStudentAid
More recent federal action
UO Federal Priorities: Policy, Budget, and Appropriations
Lobbying Registration and Disclosure
The University of Oregon is registered under the federal Lobbying Disclosure Act as an organization that employs in-house lobbyists. The UO is required by law to file: (a) quarterly "lobbying activities" reports, and (b) semi-annual "reports of certain contributions." The links below provide detailed information about those reports. Communication on behalf of the University of Oregon with federal officials should be coordinated with Government and Community Relations.