On March 1, the University of Oregon celebrated the grand opening of a renovated and expanded Allen Hall, home to the School of Journalism and Communication. The three-story transformation added 18,000 square feet to the building, which serves more than 2,000 students. In 1954, when the last major addition was completed, the building served just 300 journalism students. In 2009, the Oregon legislature approved $7.5 million in general obligation bonds. Private gifts, including a $5 million anonymous lead gift and more than 80 contributions ranging from $10 to $300,000, covered the rest of the cost of the renovation.
UO Journalism School Dean Tim Gleason recognized the contributions of the state to the project, specifically thanking members of the Lane County legislative delegation for their support.
More about Allen Hall is available on AroundtheO.