University of Oregon
2020 Legislative Agenda
The UO is advocating for the following legislation and funding requests that support public safety, research, and infrastructure.
- SB 1537 provides $7.5 million for ShakeAlert, the earthquake early warning system operated by the UO and other universities on the West Coast to improve Oregon’s resiliency in the face of natural hazards. A summary can be found here.
- A request for $500,000 to help the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology build a new teaching and research boat for their campus on the Southern Oregon Coast. A summary can be found here.
- A request for $57.24 million of state-backed bonds to renovate Huestis Hall. Huestis Hall is the life sciences hub for 3,000 students year-round. It will address safety, security, seismic, and ADA issues and help the UO meet the increasing demand for STEM majors, as well as ensure a more energy efficient building best suited for world-class teaching and research. A summary can be found here.
Oregon Public Universities 2020 Legislative Agenda
Oregon’s seven public universities endorse the following concepts for the 2020 legislative session.
- HB 4055 – Addresses basic needs for students to promote success
- HB 4160 – Provides better outcomes for a new generation of Oregon university students
- SB 1521 – Maximizes the impact of transfer credits
- Invest in modern, safe facilities
The Oregon Public Universities 2020 Legislative Agenda summary document can be found here.